REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST (REOI)
COUNTRY: Puntland State of Somalia (PSS)
NAME OF PROJECT: Somalia Domestic Revenue Mobilization and Public Financial Management
Capacity Strengthening Project – Phase II
PROJECT ID: P151492 Grant No.: TF-A0388
Assignment Title: Senior Internal Audit Consultant for the Internal Audit Unit
Reference No.: SO-MOF-PL-106488-CS-INDV
Place of assignment: Garowe, Puntland, Somalia
Publication Date: July 30th, 2019
Deadline: August 25th, 2019
The Puntland Ministry of finance is responsible for managing and controlling fiscal policy through formulation of tax and non-polices that aimed at generating domestic revenue and promoting investment, consumption and saving into state level government building. The Ministry has always been the custodian authority of all fiscal monitory policies, and laws, national policy, research in Puntland. Part of the grant proceeds will be applied towards the services of an Individual Consultant to provide technical assistance services in strengthening the Internal Audit Unit in Minister of Finance function for Puntland State of Somalia and particularly strengthen the EAFS. Under the Public Financial Management (PFM) Project, the Government has secured additional financial resources from the World Bank to the original project and the components have been reorganized as follows: (i) Strengthening Tax Policy and Inland Revenue Administration Systems; (ii) Strengthening Capacity for PFM Control and Accountability; and (iii) PFM Reform Oversight, Coordination and Management.
The project development objective of the grant is to “strengthen systems of domestic revenue mobilization, expenditure control and accountability in the Federal Government, Puntland State of Somalia, and Somaliland”.
2. Scope of Work and Responsibilities:
Internal Audit Unit in Minister of Finance is responsible for the investigation and controlling for all source of revenue and expenditure also fights the frauds and errors within the bounders of Ministry of Finance Puntland through day to day reviewing and monitoring at the field offices. Internal Audit plays a pivotal role in mobilizing revenues and eradicating corruptions and errors to enable Ministry of Finance to execute its mandate in serving its citizens and to safeguard the public funds from fraud and mismanagement. The Ministry of Finance in Puntland is committed to deliver its mandate and functions in a transparent, accountable, effective and efficient manner. The Ministry is also committed to recruit a diverse and inclusive Individual Senior Internal Audit Consultant that aimed to develop strengthening capacity of internal Audit unit.
In line with the objectives of this assignment, the consultant is expected to approach the assignment as follows; Advise the Chief Internal Auditor (CIA) and other key stakeholders on all matters concerning the functioning of the internal audit function in terms of International Standards for the Professional Practice in Internal Audit (ISPPIA) and the requirements under the Constitution and existing PFM legal framework and determining how compliance gaps can be bridged; Determine capacity constraints including inter alia, institutional, systems, skills or otherwise to be addressed to enable the internal audit function to deliver to the required standards; Support preparation and implementation of a time-bound capacity establishment programme in order to address deficiencies identified. This assignment should clearly identify objectives of each action, targets and mechanisms to monitor and evaluate achievements against the objectives. The assignment should also include a work plan, which will be discussed and agreed with the CIA and the Internal Audit Committee. Achievement of the defined targets will be an integral part of the outputs of the Consultant;
Selection shall be based on qualification and experience of the candidate and followed by an interview. The minimum qualification, experience and skills should include:
- Be knowledgeable in Public Financial Management with a relevant university degree.
- A recognized professional designation in Accounting or Internal Auditing (CA, ACCA, CGA, CIA or CISA
- Masters’ degree will be an added advantage;
- Must possess Institute of Internal Audit (IIA) qualification
- Must have at least 10 years’ experience of audit management at senior management/ advisory level of which 5 years must be in establishing and reforming public sector internal audit functions,
- Must have experience in leading a similar project and in using practical techniques for change management and training in a fragile or conflict state environment;
- Familiar with designing financial reports in compliance with International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and IMF-GFSM 2001compliant chart of accounts; and implementing financial management information systems,
Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
Demonstrated experience working with governments of developing countries including fragile and conflict-affected states.
Experience working in Somalia is an advantage.
Somali Language will be added advantage
The duration for the assignment is 12 months, renewable based on satisfactory performance.
The Senior Internal Audit Consultant will report to the Head of the Internal Audit Department in Minister of Finance of Puntland State of Somalia and DRM/PFM Coordinator. In addition, he/she will perform under the overall guidance of the World Bank Task Team Leader(s) for the DRM/PFM Project.
6. The Ministry of Finance now invites eligible Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in providing these services. Interested Individual Consultants must submit their Curriculum Vitae (CV) and cover letterindicating that they are qualified to perform the services.
7. The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraphs 3.14, 3.16 and 3.17 of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers: Procurement in Investment Financing Goods, Works, Non-Consulting and Consulting Services dated July 2016 and revised in November 2017 and August 2018, (“Procurement Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultants Selection method set out in the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations.
Interested applicants may obtain further information including a detailed Terms of Reference from the Ministry in person or by e-mail to the address given below during office hours from 9.00 a.m.– 4.00 p.m. Saturday to Thursday.
The detailed Terms of Refence (TOR) for the assignment can be found at the following website: http://mofpuntland.com or it can be provided upon submission of application in person or by e-mail.
9. Expressions of interest (EOI) and CV must be delivered (in person or by e-mail) in a written form in four (4) hard copies (if not by e-mail) to the address below by 25th August 2019 at 11:00 am (Garowe Time). Marked clearly as – Senior Internal Audit Consultant
10. Attention: Public Financial Management Reform Coordination Unit,
Ministry of Finance, Garowe, Puntland State of Somalia
Email: Email: Procurement@mof.plstate.so and copy
NB: Female candidates are encouraged to apply.